Damnit
Some days I really hate to be me. By almost any standard in the world, I'm pretty well off. I've got a lot to be thankful for. But I've also got a self-esteem problem. I've never quite been able to shake off criticism as easily as I try to pretend to. This is really hard to write, because I can bearly acknowledge that I'm not an ugly, disgusting asshole. Sad, huh? In a fit of paranoia worthy of a schizophrenic coming down from Ritalin, I sometimes believe that my friends only listen to me and hang out with me because they see that I need it. I know that this is false (or at least hope so), but that doesn't make it any easier. Perhaps that's one of the reasons (not to mention the chemical cocktail of hormones in my blood right now) that I so desperately need a girlfriend. Carmi was the first person who I could definitively prove wasn't taking pity on me. There's my half-baked self-analysis. Unforetunately, knowing my faults doesn't make them go away magically. In cruel irony, I fault myself for not being able to get rid of my faults. ~FIN~ Well, that was hard to write. I'm not gonna check it for errors or structure because then I'll never post it, and I need somebody to read this... Shit, I hate being me.

2 Comments:
I don't know what to tell you about the self esteem issue other than that I can assure you that I experience it quite often also. It's not uncommon for me to feel ugly and disgusting. My saving graces, however, are that I know for a fact that I'm vastly more intelligent (despite the feeling that I can never do good enough not only for my parents but for myself) than the average individual and that I am not an asshole. I can choose to be one, but as you probably know I rarely do so. The asshole thing is completely under your control. The ugly disgusting part is just something that we all deal with. At some point, we all have to come to terms with who we are and just accept it and embrace it. I don't see plastic surgery as an alternative since I'm philosophically opposed and I would assume you are, as well. Anyway I guess my point is that you just have to accept yourself and be comfortable with it.
The main reason behind the feeling of ugliness is romance, right? You can recognize that, I'm sure. If not for girls, we wouldn't care how we looked. What you have to realize is that you are who you are, and the girl you're after isn't worth it if she doesn't like you because of your looks. That's not what a strong relationship is based around.
Good luck.
Glad to have you back, Scotty.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home