Latin Convention
I have a feeling that this is one of those posts that you think will be really long but will end up being ten lines because you get tired of writing it. My plan is to give a blow-by-blow of Convention, then come back and make some general observations.
We left right after fifth period on Friday. After an uneventful ride spent reading and trying to memorize my speech (pointless, more on that later), we arrived at the hotel. Our room was 308. Nik Andrus and Cory were rooming with me. So after we carried our luggage up and such, we had a while to just sit around and do nothing. Then, at around 6p, we left for Spirit. Basically, we went to the Ballroom (where the G.A.s are held, also details pending) and shouted our heads off.
We had a General Assembly, which was boring. They talked about club values, new officers, et al. At 8:45p, we had our first testing session. I took all three tests (Latin Literature, Vocabulary, and Mythology). I did pretty well on the vocabulary, but I totally bombed the other two. Cory showed up from a performance for Men's Chorus right after the testing session. Then we hung out in Nick's girlfriend's room until light's out, at which time we turned the lights down and proceeded to watch movies and talk about random crap until about 2a.
Saturday was much more interesting. We got up at around 8a so we could make it to L2 Certamen, for which Cory, Katie, and I made up the team. We got lost and confused and missed the round. Then we just sorta blew off the other round. After watching IH's upper level Certamen, I went down to do my sight Latin reading project. I did it fairly well, with only one major pronunciation error. I missed the English Oratory, since I scheduled it too closely to sight reading.
After the sight reading, we hooked up with Scott, Katie, and Liz and went down to get lunch. We took some more tests, two of which I placed in (Roman History and Derivatives). Then we had the Roman Banquet (we ate Italian food because they were too lazy to make dormouse :) <-- Ecce Romani joke, ignore it. It gave everyone some form of food poisoning. Scott was up all night vomiting. I got off easy with some stomach cramps. Also, at that time, I hadn't had a non-caffinated beverage since the start of Convention, unless you count a Sprite and 1/2 a SunnyD. So I downed about ten cups of water and felt a lot better.
There was another G.A. after the banquet, which was equally sucky, if not worse, than the one before it. Oh yeah, I neglected to mention what happened between Cory and I earlier Saturday. I don't quite know how, but he really really pissed me off. I kinda freaked out and attacked him. So Nick had to pull me off of him and I spent the rest of the day feeling like crap, first because I was coming down from the adrenaline, and then because I had attacked Cory, and then because I had gotten somewhere around 5hrs of sleep the night before.
Sunday was pretty boring. We got up, went to an awards assembly for an hour or so, then went off to the breakfast buffet, which tasted okay, but costed us $8 each. Then it was off to G.A.3, with more cheering and such. G.A.3 lasted for about two hours, which really really sucked. Then we got on a bus and came home. Here I am.
Okay, general notes. We spent most of our time hanging around with either A) Lindsay Barber (Nik's girlfriend), B) Katie Cropper or C) Jessica N. Katie and Scott are back together now, which is pretty cool. They make a cute couple together. I'm sure that there's more that I want to say, but the important part's done, so I'll post again later (maybe).

1 Comments:
Excellent post... Only one major problem - i didn't vommit... I did have stomach difficulty, but it wasn't.... oh well i think you get my message.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home