Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Debates

Why do people get so worked up over debates? Am I the *only* person who enjoys debating? First it was Alan's abortion debate, which pissed off Annie, Elena, and, to a lesser extent, Carmi. Now it's my discussion of religion with Elena. I enjoy strengthening my viewpoint and collecting my thoughts on a subject. Then there's the thrill of the fight. I never expect to convince anyone of anything, but I enjoy hearing their arguments. Without debating, there would be nothing to cause people to change. And total stagnation is very bad. On another note, I've noticed that very religious people tend to be much more close-minded. They talk of impossibilities and certanties, while scientific people talk of probabilities. I'm glad that I'm not going to a Catholic school. Elena's science teacher told her that it had been scientifically proven that chance couldn't have created life. The very nature of chance means it can't be disproven. When Edison was criticized for his many failures at making a light bulb, he replied that he had found thousands of ways on how not to make a light bulb. Similarly, the experiements in which scientists have attempted to replicate the original creation of life may have failed, but that doesn't mean that the next one couldn't succeed. Also, just because something can't be proven by today's science doesn't mean that it needs to be explained by religion. Humans have trouble admitting that we don't know something, so we make up something else to fill the gap. Argh, not the time to talk about this. Anyway, sorry for offending you Elena. Read my comment on your blog.

2 Comments:

At Fri Jan 20, 10:55:00 AM , Blogger Scott said...

I've only got one beef with your post - you seem to have something against catholic schools :). Seriously, though, St. X is not really catholic. It's a Jesuit school, and the jesuits are about education. Sure it's religious, but scriptures so far is just like english - we study stories. Its about morality, not about proving whether or not science is there. The concept of God is there to encourage people to do the right thing, not to explain how things came to be. Just because elena's science teacher is a quack, no offense to elena, doesn't mean that all catholic schools are like that. I think you'd really enjoy st x. You'd hate my scriptures teacher as much as I do though :). The reason I'm there is not for religion - the whole atmosphere is so much better. That's a different debate though. The point is stop criticising catholic schools, since you don't really have any arguments against them other than that you don't like the evangelical christians and fundamentalist catholics who think God made the world in seven days and nothing else is possible. Trust me, we hate em too.

 
At Fri Jan 20, 02:54:00 PM , Blogger Eric said...

I never said anything bad about Catholic schools. I said I didn't want to go there, and then I said something specific about Elena's science teacher. I left you to draw your own conclusions.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home