Letter to MAP Speaker
I'm writing a letter to the speaker in Health. If I remember correctly, her email was mapteacher@yahoo.com, right? If anybody has any suggestions for this letter, comment.
Letter:
Hello. My name is Eric Swanson. I am an 8th grader at
First, I have to admit that abstinence works as an almost fool-proof way of preventing pregnancies and STDs. However, the first thing that you learn in statistics is that NOTHING is 100%. I could have sex with a thousand people who have every STD known to mankind and not get one. The probability of that is lower than that of getting struck by lightning while simultaneously winning the lottery, but it isn't zero.
It is possible to get a disease that is usually sexually transmitted without having sex. They can be passed by any exchange of body fluid. If somebody carrying, for example, HIV cuts themselves and bleeds on me (and I have a cut), then I could get HIV from them. The only way to keep from catching a disease that is almost 100% would be to live in a bubble. Even that wouldn’t be totally certain.
Vicky told us that there were only two STDs in the sixties. They were both bacterial. When I asked where the other twenty-three came from, she told me that the first two mutated into the twenty-five that we have today. The probability of two bacterial diseases mutating into twenty five viral and bacterial diseases in forty five years is far lower than the probability of me not catching a single STD after sex with a thousand people with every STD known to man. In fact, it is lower than the probability of me turning into a frog while still writing this letter. It is all but impossible for a bacterium to mutate into a virus anyway. They are completely separate entities, so even if her two bacterial STDs in the 60s accounted for all the bacterial STDs we have today, it still would not explain the existence of AIDS, HSV, or HPV. Also, warts have been around forever. Chlamydia, Gonorrhea and Syphilis were all three around in the 60s, but we didn’t test for Chlamydia. In truth, nearly all of the STDs there are today were present in the 60s. When I tried to explain this to her, she acted like I didn’t know what I was talking about. She challenged me to come up with a better theory (to get me to sit down and shut up) and I did. THEY ALREADY EXISTED! They were just less common and unknown. People were actually worse off then than they are now, because no drugs existed to let people live with the diseases.
The biggest problem with the presentation was that it was based on shock value. She wanted to make us think sex is disgusting. It didn’t work. The desire to have sex is a very strong instinct. It would take either drugs or really good mental training to suppress sexual desires in teenagers. She could have done far better in reaching us (and maybe convincing us to wait until marriage until we had sex) if she had given us unbiased information instead of information with such extreme biases. But she exaggerated everything. I know that you’re thinking, “This is just another teenager who doesn’t believe the truth.” I already admitted that abstinence is the best way to prevent STDs. I knew that before Vicky even talked to me.
Also, at the end of the presentation, Vicky said that if you had sex, you would get either an unwanted pregnancy or an STD. That just isn’t true. Even assuming that every time that you had sex with somebody who has an STD that you would get that STD (which isn’t true), the probability of getting an STD is ¼ (since ¼ of sexually active teens has an STD, then there is a ¼ chance that your partner has an STD). It is possible to get pregnant three days a month out of thirty. This makes the probability of getting pregnant 1/10. Adding the probabilities will give you the probability of getting either an STD or getting pregnant. If you add ¼ (10/40) and 1/10 (4/40), you get 14/40 (or 35%). The next section is almost a direct quote from one of my friends. “It's nearly 2/3 that you're fine having unprotected sex. I'm using all of her figures. I'm not saying that this is the actual chance, but this is according to her. Turns out her stats disprove her point. If you have protected sex, the probability of unwanted pregnancy and actually getting the STD should go down greatly. We assumed you'd automatically get an STD if you have sex with somebody with an STD. This is untrue. I'm not sure what the actual probability of getting an STD is, but it's definitely less than 1/8 while picking partners at random, and far, far less if a condom is used. Also, unwanted pregnancies are almost always defeated by the Pill. If you use the Pill and a condom, you should be almost perfectly safe.”
I believe that your program needs to be changed to teach unbiased information. I personally form very fast first impressions. If somebody exaggerates one thing when they’re talking to me, I don’t trust the rest of their argument. You also need to send people who are experts in the field so that they can answer our questions.
Just for curiosity’s sake, I’d like to know your position on masturbation and gay sex as well. Also, can you explicitly recommend that teens who do choose to be sexually active use condoms? And finally, I’d like to thank you. Your goal is very admirable, but your method needs to be tweaked.

11 Comments:
Very nice
Thanks. Anybody else?
Jolly Good Show fellow! Brilliantly played out! Best tea-time reading besides crumpets!
Actually, that was really good
They or probably "her" will probably read the first paragraph and trash it never sending a reply. That goes without saying that "her" or they do check it...
I did all but impossible on purpose. It's a trick you learn in speech class. People read it as impossible, but I don't contradict myself on saying that nothing is 100%. Yeah, I plan on posting their reply.
By the way, Alan you spelled British wrong... And Cody, I'm sorry, I didn't understand that comment at all. Can you please rephrase? And Scott, sorry to steal your "all but impossible" explanation. That is literally word for word what he said to me when we were talking about this.
Annie - all but impossible means it is very close to impossible. We can't say it's "impossible" because that'll break eric's No 100% statistic.
Yeah, eric. You kinda took the "it's something you learn in speech class" line right from me, and it's pretty obvious since you've never even taken a speech class.... :)
i can understand cody... i think he's saying...
whoever gets that email will probably read the first paragraph and delete it and not reply.
also he says that they probably don't even check that email.
i'm cody's new translator. if you wish to recieve my services, of translating what cody says, please inform me. my price will be $5.63 an hour. which is slightly above minimum wage.
Haha.
So, send it?
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home