Monday, July 09, 2007

Kings Island // PHP // Tricia + Elena

Hello all. I haven't posted in forever, so this is gonna be as long as I feel like typing.

I went to Kings Island today with Elena, Tricia (her friend), and Cory. I love that place. We went at about 5p, which means tickets are half-price, nobody's there (weekday!), and Asif is working. :D We rode the Racer at least seven times (towards the end, we just stayed on until the ride closed), the Vortex three times, Flight of Fear twice, the White Water Rapids (lame name) four times, harassed Asif, and basically just hung out.

The only bad part was the Firehawk. It's a new ride where they take you up to the top laying on your back, then drop you (at a 33deg angle, top speed of 55mph) and flip you around so you're looking at the ground. It was really fun, except my cell phone and Cory's iPod flew out and hit the ground.

My cell was fine, but the iPod won't turn on. I would've expected the opposite, since my phone's really lightly built, but that might have saved it. Either way, I feel pretty damn lucky.

Elena and Tricia have both grown up a lot, like all of us. I'm glad I got to see them again. Oh, and one cool thing about Tricia: she turned 17 on 7/7/07 at 7:17 am. She belongs at Bungie!

On another subject, I've been doing a lot of programming recently, mostly in PHP. Marry a web browser for great input and output capabilities, the speed (not so much on Alloscomp), power, and persistent access to data of a web server, and a fully featured but simple to write programming language (PHP) and you have the coolest development environment ever.

As always, everything even slightly cool or useful that I've coded is on the (now standards compliant) projects page.

I've also entirely rewritten the Noobcakes site to use CSS instead of nested tables. The code is so much better and easier to maintain that it's amazing. At the moment, I'm still playing with color schemes, so gimme some suggestions!

In the works: a program to determine how much space transcoding all your iTunes mp3s to m4as would save you (it works, just takes a lot of pre-work -- comment if you're interested), a Brainfuck interpreter for PHP, a more complete Alloscomp Radio system, and a ton of small mods for the CSS server.

I'm also considering moving all my music to Alloscomp and accessing it through DAAP, which I can get over SSH remotely now. That'd save me a lot of space, and make me feel better about accessing my music. The only issue is that I'd need a new hard drive for Alloscomp.

2 Comments:

At Mon Jul 09, 11:59:00 PM , Blogger Asif said...

CSS is sweet, but when it comes to basic page layout (where the sidebars/headers/navigation/content goes) I still think nested tables are easier to use. The last two big sites I did were both ThinkQuest sites, and the first we used CSS for layout; the second we used nested tables (CSS for everything besides overall layout, though). The second site is immensely better than the first. And with Dreamweaver templates, there is very little that is hard to update. CSS layout is OK for basic site layout, but when you start to get complicated, I still think nested tables are the way to go...

 
At Tue Jul 10, 11:26:00 AM , Blogger Eric said...

Eh, I disagree. CSS makes much more redundant pages, at least if you code it well. And it's far easier to deal with if you're writing by hand (like me).

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home