Sunday, December 31, 2006

Wage Calculator

Okay, I whipped up a quick C++ wage calculator. It takes your hourly wage, hours/day, days/week, and how many weeks you intend to work. Then it deals with tax and such and spits out how much money you'll receive. Unfortunately, it's crippled because I haven't been able to find tax brackets for federal income tax for dependents. Anyone wanna help me out with this?

http://alloscomp.com/wagecalc.cpp

EXE at the same address.

EDIT: Fixed. If you make less than $22,100, you pay 15%. I worked all the way up to $100,000, but since the rest of the program is styled for minors, if you make over $100,000, get somebody else to do your taxes :)

EDIT 2: I made the same thing in Javascript, just for fun.

http://alloscomp.com/wagecalc.html

My coding works, but my tax data may be wrong. Let me know if it is.

8 Comments:

At Sun Dec 31, 11:07:00 PM , Blogger Asif said...

Isn't there a cutoff somewhere for minors (like 10,000) where you don't have to pay taxes - I'm pretty sure I didn't have to on my Scrabble stuff.

 
At Mon Jan 01, 12:24:00 AM , Blogger Eric said...

Less than or more than?

Nice to hear from you.

 
At Mon Jan 01, 01:09:00 AM , Blogger Scott said...

Dependants, over a certain amount, pay in their guardian's bracket - this is to prevent my dad from paying me 50 thousand a year for cutting the grass so we can split up his income and get lower overall tax. I think if you make less than 4000 a year or something, you don't pay tax, and anything above is taxed at your parent's rate. Not quite sure how it all works though, your best bet is to talk to a tax attorney :).

PS - I don't remember my password, it's saved in FF, but the new login system for comments doesn't work with the password completer thingy.

 
At Mon Jan 01, 01:10:00 AM , Blogger Eric said...

Log in with your Google account.

 
At Mon Jan 01, 10:05:00 AM , Blogger Scott said...

Ah got myself all migrated over to the new blogger.

 
At Mon Jan 01, 08:20:00 PM , Blogger Motor.On said...

Nice Scott...

The cutoff _was_ about 10K

maybe less though. I'm pretty sure its 1oK though.

And I'm sure that there's weird stuff included. Because you pay taxes if you are a bagger at Krogers, right?

 
At Mon Jan 01, 09:18:00 PM , Blogger Scott said...

I'm not sure. The whole point is just to make sure your parents aren't trying to cheat the IRS. I don't know exactly how they prevent it, but i'm sure it's unfair and probably more money ends up getting taken from us than what ordinarily would.

 
At Thu Jan 04, 09:11:00 PM , Blogger Eric said...

Yeah, it's called the kiddy tax law. If you make like > $1600 or something like that, it gets charged at your parent's rate. Eww.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home