Today Again
Gah, I can't think of any good titles. I'm in a "Sorta Sweet" mood now, which is better than "Not So Sweet," so sweet. Wow, that is one fucked up sentence. Anyway, today was pretty dry. Like Cory said, it was Silent Day. Check his blog for more about that. It was sorta depressing and sorta funny. On one hand, the two most outgoing people that I know (Erica and Cory) were almost totally silent. On the other hand, it was funny to try and guess what they were trying to say by meaning. Anyway, I have an amusing story. Cory and I were talking to each other on Google Talk (now integrated with Gmail) in study hall in the library, since he isn't allowed to talk outloud. Now, bear in mind that there were NO other people (unless you count Mike, who was at our table, and Alex, who was working a table away) in the library. The librarian called us up to her desk and yelled at us for using IM programs. I told her that Cory wasn't allowed to talk and she said "well, you can write notes." I brought up the logical explaination that that would waste paper and she said that we were wasting school computer resources. If she means laptop batteries, they weren't being drained any more by us chatting than they were by Mike sitting there with the laptop open and doing nothing. Anyway, they would have been charged after school anyway -- it was 7th period. If she means bandwidth, we were using a steady traffic of about, I dunno, 1kbit/sec at most. That's 125 letters a second, not counting the control characters. Last time I checked, the school doesn't pay for bandwidth by the bit, so why does it matter? And it's not like the school's computer resources were really being drained. So anyway, after we put the laptops away, we got 15 or 20 sheets of paper out of the LaserJet and wrote notes to each other. So the school went from wasting nothing to wasting paper. I seriously don't see why it's the librarian's job to prevent us from talking on GTalk. Oddly enough, we were actually doing some school work in addition to the mindless chat that is Cory and I.

1 Comments:
It's a libraran. Need I say more?
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home