Sytes.Net is Blocked
I have new news. The sytes.net domain is being blocked by some more advanced (no details) blocking software at the county. My guess is that they blocked the DNS server to prevent somebody from resolving the domain. For the non-nerds among us, a DNS server translates a URL into an IP address. All data on the internet goes through an IP address, not a URL. DNS frees you from remembering these IP addresses. It is being blocked because of Oogle (the CGI proxy on Nivilca). I have a number of possible solutions. First, as a short-term solution, use the IP addresses of the servers instead of the URLs. Alloscomp is 24.209.246.200, Servy is 24.165.105.39, and Nivilca is 24.165.105.228. For example, to access my personal website on Alloscomp, one would type http://24.209.246.200/eric. I'll leave it as an exercise to the reader to figure out how to access Oogle. A slightly longer-term solution would be to switch to a different free DNS provider. I know a few who might help us. The third thing that I could do would be to put a server on a static IP address and have it run it's own DNS. I'm gonna talk to one of my dad's friends about getting an account for a CGI proxy on his server. Until then, use the IP address and Oogle. PS: I suggest writing down the IP addresses because the school might block my blog.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home